Why you should translate into Italian
Are you still unsure whether or not to translate your documentation or website into Italian?
Here is a list of good reasons to help you make the right decision.
- Not everybody knows this but Italian comes SECOND in Europe* in terms of the number of native speakers (16%), after German (24%) and ahead of French and English. In terms of total number of speakers (native and non-native speakers) it comes in fourth place (18%).
- There are around 70 million native Italian speakers in the world as well as a further 131 million who speak it as their second language.
- Italy is one of the most advanced countries in the world with a multifaceted prosperous economy.
- There are about 22 million Italians online and this number is rising steadily with the mass adoption of smartphones and tablets.
- At least 13 million Italians purchase online.
- Italy, and my own city Milan in particular, is set to host EXPO 2015. So far 130 countries have signed up for this critical and ambitious event.
*“Eurobarometer” of the European Commission 2012